12 November 2013

REVIEW: Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette (Limited Edition)

Every time I walk past find myself inside a Sephora, I would always swatch the Hourglass ambient lighting powders... never could bring myself to drop the cash... but alas, as you would've seen from my haul post, that I didn't remove it from my shopping cart for a final time.

I give you the play-by-play of the gorgeous packaging...


You know you're an addict when you're surprised to see it arrives with a sample of the mineral primer, hahaha.  The sample bottle looks and feels so luxurious -- it's some sort of glass container?

L-R:  Dim Light, Incandescent Light (LE), Radiant Light
The palette is limited edition, and comes with three shades of Ambient Lighting Powders:  Dim Light, Incandescent Light (limited edition), and Radiant Light.

These powders have been the hottest things since the original UD Naked palette... bloggers and youtubers are giddy and raving about the super technologies behind these powders that supposedly soft-focus and blur light as it appears on your face.

L-R:  Dim Light, Incandescent Light (LE), Radiant Light
Hourglass describes the shades as such:
Dim Light:  A neutral peach beige powder that blurs imperfections and highlights the complexion.
Incandescent Light:  An opalescent pearl powder that brightens the complexion with a celestial glow.
Radiant Light:  A sun-kissed golden beige powder that enhances the complexion with believable, subtle warmth.

How do I use them:
Dim Light is a perfect match for my skin tone, so it's virtually non-existent on my skin.  I use it as a finishing powder, whatever that means... haha.
I use Incandescent Light as a soft highlight down the bridge of my nose, cupid's bow, and just underneath my eyebrows.
Radiant light has a golden base, so I use it on the highs of my cheekbones, on top of Tarte Blissful (my review).
I apply all of these with the blush brush that came in my Holiday 2012 Carried Away with Tarte collection (my review).

Cost:
It's $58 US/67 CAD on Sephora.
I paid $57.62 CAD for it, with the 10% promotional email discount and 4% Ebates cashback ;)

Verdict:
These powders are nice, and definitely do soft-focus the lighting that hits your face, but it's nothing ground-breaking to the collective squeals.
I do enjoy the motion of sweeping luxurious powders though #whataddictssay ;)


Do you own any Ambient Lighting Powders?  Did you pick up any during the Sephora F&F or VIB sales?
What do you think of them?

- M

2 comments:

  1. lol after our discussion on twitter i think its pretty on point for you to post this :P you're right! this was like, the hottest thing since the UD naked palette craze! the connection is not too far off. i tried both my dim and mood on today. pretty happy with them but agree with you that its not so ground breaking. the price point makes it feel luxury and the effect is there but....it is undoubtly an expensive superfluous purchase..still though..gonna keep both HAHAHA such a beauty addict.
    Jenn

    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
  2. heeeheee we will continue to justify the costs together ;)

    ReplyDelete