3 March 2013

REVIEW: Soap & Glory Flake Away

As the biggest fangirl of UK beauty bloggers/youtubers, I'm constantly bombarded with Soap & Glory product raves.  It's a readily available drugstore brand that's based within the UK.

I've been dying to try their body scrubs, so I almost squealed when I noticed my local Canadian Shoppers Drug Mart stores stocking their shelves with Soap & Glory products.

really wanted to find the Sugar Crush body scrub (Sammi/Beauty Crush review here), but I don't think it's available in Canada.

I saw Flake Away, and remembered reading tons good reviews on it, a while back.  It smells exactly like the Clean On Me shower gel that I had recently used up (my review here), so I bought it.



OMG, I hate it.  Or, at least, the Canadian version of it (I'll explain further below).

First of all, look at this nastyass yellow mess... it looks like Simpson's nuclear shit, but yellow.

I used it in the shower as directed, and...
The grains do not melt until they're "gone"
The yellow crust melts to become a yellow grease
The yellow grease dries and crusts around my drain -- thank goodness I have a strainer
My legs look and definitely feel like they're drenched in oil
The "moisture" that's left behind is a thick film of oil on my skin

I didn't recall seeing this yellow hot mess in any previously read reviews... A quick google image search and a look at The Sunday Girl's review easily proved my memory correct.
The Canadian product appears completely different from the UK one.


Second, I was disgusted when I saw the ingredients list.
Unfortunately, I assumed the ingredients would be identical, so I had not bothered to look at the list before my purchase.

Yea, petrolatum (a.k.a. mineral oil) is the second ingredient in a descending quantitative ingredients list.  Petrolatum is restricted within the EU, but unfortunately, there is no parallel restriction in Canada.  Read further about petrolatum here.

Again, I did not recall seeing petrolatum anywhere within the ingredients list in any of the UK reviews, and I was correct.  You can see the ingredients list for the UK version here.
Seeing how Sephora USA stocks Soap & Glory now, I looked up Flake Away on the Sephora USA website.  The USA version of Flake Away has an ingredients list that is identical to the UK one:
Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Maris Sal (Sea Salt), Sucrose, Glyceryl Stearate, Polysorbate 20, PEG-100 Stearate, Parfum (Fragrance), Prunus Persica (Peach) Seed Powder, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Dipropylene Glycol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool, BHT, Geraniol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone.
So, it seems only Canada got the shaft here.

Third, if you're going to inflate the price from £7 to $18 CAD, at least give us the exact same product.
Heck, I would be willing to make it $20 (It sells for $20 at Sephora USA).


Ugh.
What a waste of $18 CAD.  I feel obligated to hastily finish it off...

 - M

No comments:

Post a Comment