14 January 2013

Jo Malone Nectarine Blossom and Honey

I was first introduced to the brand by no other than the biggest enabler, R.  See her post on how she evolved to JM English Pear and Freesia.


I had gone to the Jo Malone counter in Nordstrom thinking that I would spray some scents onto papers for my bag (I like opening up to good scents).

I decided not to even spray Orange Blossom, since R says that Marc Jacobs Oh, Lola! smells like it when it's mixed into with my body's natural scent/chemicals.  Though, now, my curiosity is killing me.

I saw that there was an individual stand just containing Earl Grey and Cucumber.  I recalled a huge buzz around it as it was previously released through a limited edition collection of tea scents.  As an avid tea drinker and a big fan of earl grey, I had high hopes for the fragrance.  Unfortunately, I was left super disappointed.  The scent was heavily based on the tea's spicy notes.  I felt like the cucumber was misleading as it didn't seem to add any notes of freshness or lightness--Frankly, I didn't even recognize any cucumber notes.

Mostly, I played around in the fruity to floral part of JM's scent spectrum--I love how they have such a nice range, and their general philosophy of personalization through mixing.  Wild Bluebell and Nectarine Blossom and Honey were my favourites.  I love Wild Bluebell because it is so delicate--When I smell it, it actually gives me the stereotypical image of endless bluebell fields.  I love Nectarine Blossom and Honey, because it is the perfect marriage of citrus and floral.  Every other fragrance line seems to either go full on citrus or full on floral.  And, I happen to be that asshole wanting floral with a citrus kick, haha.

After eons of ooo-ing and ahhh-ing at the simplistic and cozy displays of the Jo Malone counter, I was quick to realize that I was definitely going to be making a purchase right there.  After all, why not finally get a 30 mL bottle of what I've been stalking in Canada, at a discount?  Of course, by discount, I'm only referring to the Canadian to US price difference and the lack of sales tax in Portland:
Canada:  $70 CAD + tax for 30 mL
Portland, Oregon, United States:  $60 USD for 30 mL

If you have read my most recent haul post, then you would already know that I ended up picking Nectarine Blossom and Honey over Wild Bluebell.  Wild Bluebell is amazing, but it is way too delicate for any lasting power on my skin.

Since I was making a purchase, I felt more in the right to request for a sample.  I asked for Wild Bluebell, and was informed by the saleslady that she had already put in a sample of it.  She said that Wild Bluebell's scent was complementary to Nectarine Blossom and Honey.  Then, the saleslady asked if I also wanted a sample of Earl Grey and Cucumber.  *Cue tally addition to why American customer service is so much better*  This is why I would much rather drop my money south of the border.


- M

No comments:

Post a Comment