17 May 2012

I Don't Want To Fucking Burn (Part II) - Body Sun Protection

This is the follow-up post to my two-part Sun Protection series.  Part II will focus on the body.
(Read Part I, which focuses on the face:  click!)

Here's the body lineup:

I love this cooling body mist sunscreen!  It feels amazing to apply, especially if your skin is already warm from the day - it's super refreshing!  This is my #1 choice in body sunscreen whenever I vacation in the tropics.  It's a little bit greasy, but I don't mind it because it seems to reflect the sunrays.  What I really like is it doesn't spray white.  The liquid is clear and sticks well to the skin, even on wet skin!  Only downfall is that it's water-resistant, not waterproof, so it's good for everyday use in the summer when there's more sweating (yum, hahaha), but not a good choice for pools.  It's $9.99 USD / $15 CAD.  This is a HG for me.

Ok, clearly, I am a sunscreen nut... so when I saw SPF 100+, I almost died from happiness lol.
It's non-greasy and waterproof, which is awesome!  It's exactly the same as the cooling mist, just without the cooling feeling during application.  Same thang about the water-resistant and not waterproof.  I got this for $9 USD at Walmart.

This one has the strongest sunscreen smell, and a slightly thicker consistency in its spray.  I'm not really sure how I feel about that just yet... This is the rookie of the lineup.  I just bought this last year because it was only $6 USD at Walmart (I've been die-hard Neutrogena for 5+ years).  I only got to try this a couple of times at the end of last summer, so I don't think I can do a solid review on it, but I added it in because I really love its spray.  Stupid, I know, but it's a twist-click-open sprayer, not a separate-cap-er like the Neutrogena!  That's sooo convenient!  I have a tendency to drop the cap and watch it roll off.

In Part I, I mentioned about about I was super choked up by the discontinuation of my Neutrogena After-Sun lover... well, I've found something that's almost (99.99%) identical to it!
Recall that I ROAST up in the sun... I know, people blahblahblah about how they roast up... but I don't go sun-baking!  Seriously, there's no first degree burning for me - it just goes straight to second degree as the minimum... hence this obsession.  So, after I become a lobster in complete pain, I would cake on Neutrogena After-Sun.  I just spread it on me like icing... mostly because any sort of slight contact with my skin would be painful beyond belief... thus, any sort of rubbing in is out of question, duh.  The Neutrogena would instantly soak into my skin and cool down my skin's redness and pain.  The redness would instantly turn from tomato red to a deep pink.  I don't know what was in it but it was crack for me - probably did have crack and had to be "discontinued."

Anyway, this Burt's Bees After Sun does the same thing for me, PLUS it's 99.5% natural (no crack)!  Instead of the baby powder smell of the Neutrogena one, this has a fresh, earthy smell (I think the 0.01% lacking to the Neutrogena is partly weighed on missing the baby powder smell).  Its effects aren't as instantaneous as the Neutrogena - probably, more like within half an hour instead of seconds, which is still amazing.  It's a very light formula as you can see from my swatch, and has a less artificial cooling sensation than the Neutrogena.  I've got three backups of this in my reserves, and will probably stock up on a couple more for the summer when I go down to the states this weekend.  Walmart in the states has them for $9.99 USD, while London Drugs and Shoppers Drug Mart robs us at $15 CAD in Canada.

Goes without saying that this is a HG for me.

♥ M

5 comments:

  1. M, you appear to have taken over this blog. I am an avid fan of the Neutrogena aerosol sunscreens albeit they are unfriendly to the environment. The Neutrogena 'wet skin' comes in a twist cap if you're concerned with losing caps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I know, R is being a lazy fuck. Hahaha, she's just super busy lately because she's in the process of moving.

      I've never tried their wet skin line - always assumed that the consistency would be much thicker in order to tack onto wet skin. If you've tried it, please let me know what you think of it!

      Delete
  2. M, it is basically the same consistency. It wouldn't slather on too thick because it's in an aerosol can. I think the only noticeable difference is that it could be a tad greasier. I don't remember from last summer but I wasn't too irritated by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and FYI there are differences in labeling between the US and Canada. The US will state that the product is "Sunblock" but Health Canada does not allow the use of "Sunblock" as it is deceptive or something like that. The Ultra Sheer is labelled as waterproof though, but it might also have to do with Health Canada regulations on labels.

      Delete
    2. Oh, interesting! I've never really paid much attention to the labelling haha. I'm going to the states tomorrow, so I'll get a can of the "wet skin" if it's on sale or around $10.

      Delete